When it comes to exhibition services, there’s no shortage of options. You can opt for small banner stands, huge experiential exhibits, or just standard product display cases. You can even choose whether you want to purchase your booth outright or rent it from a local display company. While purchasing can allow you to create a custom-fit booth of your own for long-term use, renting your exhibition services can also have its benefits. So how do you choose?
Check out our guide below to find out if you should rent or buy your next trade show exhibit.
Renting vs. Buying Exhibition Services: What to Consider
Before you decide whether to rent your exhibition services or invest in a customized trade show exhibit of your own, there are a number of factors to consider.
Specifically, you should ask yourself:
- What can you afford? When you buy an exhibit, you’ll not only have the up-front costs; you’ll also have to cover the costs of maintenance, refurbishment, storage, and more. With a rental, you simply pay a one-time fee.
- How often will you attend trade shows? If you plan to attend just one or two trade shows a year, then renting your exhibition services may be a good option for you. If you have a full calendar of conventions, trade shows, and other events, however, it may behoove you to invest in an exhibit of your own. Then, you can fully customize the exhibit to your needs and make it as successful as possible. Plus, over time, it will likely be less expensive to maintain your one exhibit than to keep paying rental fees every few weeks or months. Those can add up fast.
- What do you want to get out of your exhibition services? If you simply want a booth that displays a few advertising messages, shows off your products, or gives your employees a chance to hand out pamphlets, then a rental may do the trick. If you want a more experiential booth, however, you’ll likely need to purchase one. Most rental options aren’t completely customizable, so you’ll be limited as to what you can achieve creatively.
- What are your space/time/geographical restraints? Rental options are limited. There are only so many up for grabs, so if you have a very specific space constraint or you’re in a lowly populated area, you may not have much to choose from. You’ll also have to consider your timing. If there’s a specific exhibit you want, there’s always the chance another marketer has reserved it for the weekend you need. With a purchased exhibit, you’ll never have to deal with these limitations, and you’re free to create a piece that’s perfect for any time, space, or location.
- What are your travel requirements? If travel is required for your trade show and you have purchased your exhibit piece, you have two options: you can send your booth along with your employees, and have them carry it on the plane, bus, or in the car with them en route. Or, you could ship the booth ahead of your team, and keep it in storage until they arrive. Either way, this could get costly. If your trade show is far away, you may find it easier to rent your exhibition services once you have arrived in the city. This will keep you from having to pay shipping and storage costs while you’re there, and it will ease the burden on your employees.
Remember, a trade show exhibit is an investment. If you purchase a high-quality one, it should last you for years and years to come. While renting a booth may be an option, if you intend to be in the trade show game for a while, purchasing an exhibit that’s customized to your needs and specifications is always the most ideal route.
Want to learn more about buying and renting exhibition services? Contact Ballance Display today.